Although it may still feel a while away, it’s important to make sure you understand the new requirements for energy performance ratings that will be implemented from the 1st April 2018.
What is the change for energy performance ratings?
You will now be required, for any properties rented out in the private rented sector, to have a minimum energy performance rating of E on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). The new regulations will be implemented on the 1st of April 2018 for new lets and renewals of tenancies, however, the deadline for all existing tenancies will be the 1st April 2020.
The major impact will mean that it will be unlawful to rent a property without the minimum E rating (although is there is an exemption, this may be waivered). You will be looking at a fine of up to £5,000 if the requirements are not met.

Why are the changes being made vital?

The topic of energy efficiency affects several topics which the Government has identified as important issues to address.

This includes topics such as:

  • Climate change
  • Improvement for energy security
  • To help prevent ‘winter deaths’
  • Fuel poverty

Who does this apply to?

The new regulations that are being implemented will apply to the domestic private rented sector, this will be in both England and Wales. Properties will include any property which currently has an EPC, is required to have an EPC or is within a larger unit which itself is required to have an EPC (either at the point of sale or point of let). No changes are being made currently to existing regulations regarding the provisions of EPCs.

For further clarification, this will include the following:
Properties let on a:

  • tenancy with is an assured agricultural occupancy
  • protected tenancy under the Rent Act 1976
  • statutory tenancy under the Act

Properties let under an assured tenancy or shorthold
A tenancy which is a regulated tenancy for the purposes of the Rent Acts
Flats and houses are subject to the regulations that are being implemented. In the case of flats, this means self-contained. Non-self contained units, such as bedsits, will not require an individual EPC. However, if a bedsit in within a property that does have an EPC, then the regulations will need to be complied with before the bedsit can be rented out, the majority of cases with bedsits do not need an EPC if the house containing the bedsit has been sold. For example, it will have an EPC in which case the Regulation will apply.

Who does this not apply to?

There are some domestic buildings that are excluded from the regulations. This includes the following:
Buildings and monuments officially protected
Residential buildings which are intended to be used for less than 4 months of the year
Temporary buildings with a planned timed use of 2 years of less
Stand-alone buildings with a total usable floor area of under 50 square meters

What could be required from your improvement wise?

In order to improve your EPC, you may be required to improve some of the following:

  • Air source heat pumps
  • Thermostat boilers
  • Thermostat room heaters
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Solid wall insulation (internal or external)
  • Cylinder thermostats
  • Draught proofing
  • Duct insulation
  • Hot water showers/systems (efficient)
  • Hot water taps (efficient)
  • External wall insulation systems
  • Fan assisted replacement storage heaters
  • Flue gas recovery devices
  • Ground source heat pumps
  • Heating controls (for wet central heating systems and warm air systems)
  • Heating ventilation and air conditioning controls
  • High-performance external doors
  • Hot water controls (including timers and temperature control)
  • Hot water cylinder insulation
  • Internal wall insulation (or external walls)
  • Lighting systems fittings and controls (including roof lights, lamps, and luminaires)
  • Loft or rafter insulation (including loft hatch insulation)
  • Mechanical ventilation with heat recovery
  • Micro combined heating power
  • Micro wind generation
  • Pipework insulation
  • Photovoltaics
  • Chillers
  • Gas fired condensing boilers
  • Replacement glazing
  • Oil fired condensing boilers
  • Warm air units
  • Radian heating
  • Roof insulation
  • Warming roof insulation
  • Ceiling improvements (including duct ceiling)
  • Secondary glazing
  • Solar water heating
  • Solar blind, shutters and shading devices
  • Transpired solar collectors
  • Under floor heating
  • Under floor insulation
  • Variable speed dryers for fans and pumps
  • Waste water heat recovery devices attached to showers
  • Water source heat pumps